Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce News

EU Settlement Scheme

28 Nov 2020 by Nanci Downey - Citizens Advice Craven and Harrogat

We are getting near to the end of the year and members may have employees who need help with this! 

After the 31 December 2020 EU nationals might be asked to prove their right to do things like work in the UK, or use the NHS. The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) is a free scheme which enables EEA and Swiss citizens resident in the UK, and their family members, to obtain the status they will require in order to live, work and study in the UK following Brexit. Even those EU Citizens with a ‘Permanent Residence’ document need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, or for British Citizenship, to secure their rights in the UK. Applications to the EU Settlement Scheme are made online via GOV.uk.

To help raise awareness of the EU Settlement Scheme, Citizens Advice Craven and Harrogate Districts has expanded their website, to provide more information on the scheme in a number of community languages. This can be accessed at www.cachd.org.uk/euss.

As well as being able to speak to an adviser about the EUSS via telephone and email, EU nationals in Harrogate will be able to contact Citizens Advice Craven and Harrogate Districts through Facebook Messenger for free and confidential advice. The service is free, confidential and impartial, designed to help EU citizens in our area navigate any issues they may face with the EU Settlement Scheme application process. For more information on the EUSS in several languages: www.cachd.org.uk/euss.

For advice, email CACHD via our website https://cachd.org.uk/email, contact us via Facebook Messenger - https://www.facebook.com/CACHD19/ or contact our North Yorkshire Adviceline on 0300 3309 036 (calls cost the same as those to 01 and 02 numbers).