Carnival is being brought to life through a commission from Harrogate Borough Council and is a unique day for the town and wider District as part of a cultural programme to herald the arrival of September’s UCI Road World Cycling Championships, when “Harrogate Welcomes the World”.
WHAT’S GOING ON
Friday 26th July:
• Close Act Theatre Company photo call on the evening Friday 26th July entertaining the areas around John Street/Parliament Street for c.30 minutes
Saturday 27th July:
• There will be a Parade from 11am-12pm around the town centre with minimal impact on roads and maximum impact for retail/hospitality. The route currently covers Oxford Street and Cambridge Street although the final route is subject to NYCC approval
• The Parade will progress into the Valley Gardens which includes music, food, dance, workshops and entertainment to enjoy or even participate in. The event will run from 11am – 6pm in the gardens and pine woods
• Announcements are taking place all the time so check back on our website for up to date information: www.harrogateinternationalfestivals.com
• Our work with Harrogate BID will also ensure that street theatre entertainment takes place in the town centre on the Saturday afternoon
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
• We want to ensure that we drive traffic between the town centre and the Valley Gardens since dwell time for this type of outdoor event is usually 4 hours before attendees move on to a more traditional retail/food offer within the town. A joined-up approach of offers, key messages and more can be shared through our social media outlets and website; we would be happy to promote all that is going on within the town alongside the activities within the Valley Gardens so please do get in touch to let us know if you would like to plan something
• We will have a global food theatre at the event and invitations have gone out to local providers/hospitality with the opportunity to participate alongside our world food offer. If you have not yet responded but would like to be involved, please get in touch
• Invitations have gone out to schools, local organisations and groups to participate in workshops in the build up to the event, in the Parade, and on stage – do let us know if you would like to be involved in any of these elements
Who is behind the event?
Harrogate International Festivals has been commissioned to run the Carnival as part of a cultural programme to support the UCI Road World Cycling Championship. The funding to deliver this event is from the Leeds City Region Business Rates Pool and has been allotted specifically to support cultural activities whilst the global spotlight is on the region.
Why is the event taking place in the Valley Gardens?
The event is being hosted in the Valley Gardens rather than the town centre following liaison with several key parties including North Yorkshire Police and Harrogate Borough Council to support a safe event environment and reduce road closures.
For more info or to take part, please do not hesitate to get in touch by emailing email@example.com.
Sharon Canavar Chief Executive Harrogate International Festivals Charity No: 244861
T. +44 (0) 1423 562303 E. firstname.lastname@example.org W. www.harrogateinternationalfestivals.com