The Project operates a 24-hour staffed hostel with 16 bedrooms and accommodates males and females aged 18 and over who are not eligible for statutory assistance. HHP operates the District’s No Second Night Out Scheme to provide immediate shelter for anyone with no alternative but to sleep rough. Following a needs assessment, all clients receive an offer of accommodation through our various pathways or provided with assistance into the private rented sector if appropriate. HHP also provides a day centre (Springboard) where people who are homeless or vulnerably housed in the Harrogate area can receive support and services in a warm sheltered and friendly environment.
Following a strategic review we are now seeking to strengthen our Board of Trustees to advance the organisation further in its objectives and strengthen the charity’s presence in the local community.
Who we are looking for
We are looking to attract applications from people with specific experience in the areas of marketing, fundraising, business development or Human Resources. In addition ideal candidates will have strong links with the community and business networks in the Harrogate District. Candidates will be strategic thinkers. If you are able to engage with our strategic work, services and fundraising, and have the time to commit, with a professional or business head and a charity heart, then you may be just who we are looking for. The trustee’s role is voluntary and unpaid. However, we will reimburse reasonable expenses.
The HHP Board meets every 2 months. Trustees will be required to commit to 6 Board meetings a year and adopt additional areas of responsibility such as providing skilled support and guidance to the executive staff on a particular area of expertise. We hold an away day once a year for the Board and staff team to discuss long-term strategic issues.
If you have the commitment, energy and expertise we are looking for please send your CV to Liz Hancock, Chief Executive at firstname.lastname@example.org (maximum 2 A4 pages) and a short statement of not more than 600 words on why you want to be a trustee and what you would bring to the HHP Board. Please submit your application by 2nd June 2017.
Board of Trustees
Collectively, the Board of Trustees will have the following knowledge and experience:
· A sound understanding of effective charitable governance.
· Understanding of accountancy and financial management.
· Experience of strategic planning in a substantive organisation.
· Senior level management experience.
· An understanding of charitable funding.
· Knowledge, understanding, empathy or experience of Harrogate Homeless Project’s areas of work.
· Communications and policy influencing.
· Marketing, PR and Human Resources.
Statutory Duties for all Trustees
· To be a trustee of Harrogate Homeless Project for the purposes of the Charities Act and a Company Director of the Charity for the purposes of the Companies Act.
· To ensure that Harrogate Homeless Project complies with its governing document, organisation law, and anyother relevant legislation or regulations.
· To ensure that Harrogate Homeless Project pursues its objectives as defined in its Articles of Association.
· To ensure the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives, that is, the organisation must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objectives, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are.
· To safeguard the good name and values of Harrogate Homeless Project.
· To declare any conflict of interest while carrying out the duties of a trustee.
· To be collectively responsible for the actions of Harrogate Homeless Project and other trustees.
· To ensure the financial stability of the organisation both now and by planning and investing for the future.
Trustees’ General Duties
· To set and maintain vision, mission and values.
· To maintain effective Board performance, and ensure the financial stability and effective administration of the organisation.
· To contribute actively to the Board’s role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
· To monitor the implementation of key internal policies including safeguarding, and health and safety.
· To support the executive management of the organisation, led by the Chief Executive Officer.
· To appoint and support the Chief Executive Officer and monitor performance led by the Chair of the Board.
· To represent Harrogate Homeless Project at functions and meetings.
· To act as an ambassador for Harrogate Homeless Project.